Spring Equinox 2018 in the Northern Hemisphere will be at 11:15 AM on Tuesday, March 20. Spring is almost here! With the changing seasons we can expect some rain showers and on some occasions they can potentially become heavy thunderstorms. Here are some quick tips for a successful spring start up:
- Check the discharge pipe (outside) of your sump pump, to be sure it is free from any debris that may have built up over the fall and winter months. If the pipe is clogged, water will build up and create an unwelcome mess in the basement. Ensuring that the pipe is properly connected with no obstructions is imperative.
- Inside, it is a good idea to make sure the pump is plugged in. Sounds simple, but it can happen. If you have a battery backup power source you also want to ensure that this is working properly.
- Check the outside hose bibbs for any cracks, leaks or breaks from the cold temps of this past winter.
- Also, even though we may not be quite ready to start up the sprinkler system, you will want to at least look at the backflow and check to be sure you do not see any breaks or cracks.
- You will also want to check your gutters to insure free flow of water with those spring showers. Through the winter months we may have had twigs or remaining fall leaves that has the possibility of clogging the down spouts.
Even though this a small list of quick tips, it is a start. If you have any questions or concerns with your sump pump, sprinkler system or any other aspect of your plumbing call Micro Plumbing, Inc. (402) 895-1212. BIG OR SMALL, WE DO IT ALL!